The Mongol Empire
Chapter 12 Section 3
Setting the Stage
1. In theory the Great Khan would rule the entire Mongol Empire, but what
happened after Kublai Khan took the title?
The empire is divided into four areas
2. What areas did Kublai Khan control?
Mongolia, Tibet, Korea and North China
Kublai Khan Becomes Emperor
3. What happened in 1279?
The Mongols conquered China
Beginning a New Dynasty
4. What dynasty did Kublai Khan form?
5. What important things happened during this dynasty’s rule?
Kublai Khan united China
The door opened for more trade with foreign nations
6. How was Kublai different from his ancestors?
He made a settled life rather than the nomadic life
Abandoned Mongol land and went into China
Moved the capital to modern Beijing
7. Where was the new capital located and why was this important?
In what is now modern day Beijing
It shows that he’s serious as a leader
The capital is now in between China and Mongol territory and he brings it
Failure to Conquer Japan
8. Describe the attempts by Kublai to conquer Japan. Was he successful?
No he’s not successful
Second time weather wasn’t in his favor
He built a giant fleet of ships
9. What was the Kamikaze?
“divine wind” that saved the Japanese
it’s the weather pattern that saved Japan from the Mongols
Mongol Rule in China
10. What was the issue Kublai had with governing China?
The Mongol’s nomadic uncivilized lifestyle that won’t work in a civilized
Too much land to be a nomadic ruler
The Mongols and the Chinese
11. Describe the relationship between the Mongols and the Chinese
The were very different and kept their identities and culture separate
Not a lot of blending or interaction
12. What positive contributions did Kublai make to China?
Rebuilt the Grand Canal
Expanded highways and roadways
13. Explain why/how trade increased under Kublai Khan’s rule
They protected traders
It was the time of Mongol peace
14. What were some of the products being traded? Who were they trading with?
Gunpowder, paper money, playing cards, silk and porcelain
Europe, Muslims in India, Asia
Marco Polo at the Mongol Court
15. Who was Marco Polo?
Italian explorer from Venice and trader who went into Asia
16. Describe Marco Polo’s relationship with Kublai Khan
They worked together
He did government missions for him
He became part of the Mongol culture
17. What happened to Marco Polo?
He was captured and sent to prison
While in prison he talks about his experiences and what he saw in the
The End of Mongol Rule
18. Describe the decline of Mongol Rule
Military and rulers become weak
Spending too much money
People were over taxed
Yuan Dynasty Overthrown
19. When did Kublai Khan die? What happened after his death?
Family fought and the dynasty ends
20. What happened in 1368?
It’s the end of the Mongol rule
Lose control of China
Chinese rebel under Mongol rule