KINGDOMS AND CRUSADES
Homework Reading Questions
Answer in complete sentences
ENGLAND IN THE MIDDLE AGES
1. What was “Alfred’s united kingdom” known as?
2. What were three of Alfred’s achievements:
3. Why was the area of France the Vikings conquered called Normandy?
4. What was the disagreement between William and Harold?
5. What battle was a result of this disagreement? Who won? What year was it?
6. Why did the Anglo-Saxon’s resist William’s rule?
7. What was William’s Domesday Book?
8. Which two cultures merged to form the modern culture of England today?
9. What were the two types of juries King Henry set up in England? Describe the difference
of the two.
1210. Describe in detail how the Magna Carta affected the king’s power?
11. Why is the Magna Carta important?
12. What is Habeas Corpus?
13. How was England’s parliament created? What type of government does it represent?
THE KINGDOM OF FRANCE
14. What did King Philip II do to expand the kingdom of France?
15. Which groups made up the “three estates” in France?
16. What was the name of the first representative government in France?
1. Which group in the east appealed to the Pope for help in fighting the Muslim Turks?
2. What did Pope Urban II ask for in 1095 of Europe’s lords?
3. How did the crusaders identify themselves?
4. What were the names of the four crusader states created in the Middle East by the
12345. What was the outcome of the second crusade?
6. Who was Saladin and what did he do?
7. What agreement occurred between Richard the Lion-Hearted and Saladin in regards to
Jerusalem that ended the third Crusade?
8. Describe the fourth Crusade. Why did this shock Europe?
9. Describe the two main effects the Crusades had on Europe.
2SECTION WRAP UP – Write a paragraph with a thesis and use examples from the book.
1. Why did the European Christians launch the Crusades?
2. What types of governments were created after the Crusades in Europe?