Chemical Composition Chart
Use your Handy Dandy Earth Science Reference Tables, to
answer the following questions. Answer in full sentences
1. What is meant by crust?
2. How is the troposphere related to the atmosphere?
3. What is the most abundant element in the atmosphere?
4. What element is the most abundant in the oceans?
5. What is the percent, by volume, of potassium in the crust?
6. What is the percent of oxygen in the atmosphere?
7. What is the percent, by mass, of magnesium in the crust?
8. What is the least abundant element listed, by mass, in the crust?
9. What is the least abundant element listed, by volume, in the crust?
10. How can iron be 5.63% by mass but only 0.49% by volume in the crust?
11. What element is the most abundant by mass and volume in the crust?
12. What are the two most abundant elements, by mass, in the crust?
_____________ These two elements combine to make one of the most
common minerals. That mineral is _____________ . The mineral has a
chemical formula of _____________ . On the back of this paper, draw a
diagram of that mineral’s crystalline shape.