Aim # 1: What are the 4 layers of the Earth?
Do Now: Complete KWL chart.
Know about Want to know Learned about Earth
-Crust: thin outside
layer where we live
-Mantle: thick layer
of moving hot rock
-Outer Core: melted
-Inner Core: hot
solid ball innermost
region of Earth
CIS 339, Class __________
Science- Ms. Sowin
COMPUTER UNIT 6 Aim # 1: What are the 4 layers of the Earth?
15 POINTS Do Now: Before you get your computer, write down what you Know about
Earth in the K column and what you Want to know in the W column. Then copy the notes
in the Learned column.
Want to know
85 POINTS Independent Work:
1. Go to http://science339.wikispaces.com, Unit 6, Aim # 1
2. Click on the “Four Layers Link”
3. Read through the presentation to help you answer the
following questions on the back.
30 POINTS- STAY ONLY ON APPROPRIATE WEBSITES with NO MUSIC ON!!
(10 points off every warning)
1. Draw and label the 4 major layers of the Earth (Crust,
Mantle, Outer Core, Inner Core) (10 points)
2. What layer of Earth do we live on? (5pts)
3. How thick is each layer? (10 points)
4. Which is the thinnest layer? (5 points)___________ the
5. (5 points) Which layer is very hot and has the ability to
flow to make the crust move?
6. (5 points) What are the two main metals that make up the
outer and inner core?
7. (10 points) Describe in your own words how the Earth's
layers were formed.
Card 2 "The Four Layers" will help you. Use density in
7- 8 are state questions the presentation can help you with.
7. (5 points) Which of the following shows the correct order of Earth?
(1) outer core, inner core, mantle, crust
(2) crust, inner core, outer core, mantle
(3) inner core, outer core, mantle, crust
(4) crust, mantle, outer core, inner core
8. (5 points) Earthquakes are caused by
(1) movements in Earth’s crust
increases of Earth’s gravity
(2) changes in Earth’s magnetic field(3)
(4) movements of Earth’s tides