“U.S. Entry into World War I”: Jocz Productions Video Guide
1. What was the U.S. response to the outbreak of World War I in 1914?
2. How did violations of America’s neutrality during World War I compare to violations of American
neutrality during the French Revolution / Napoleonic Wars (from Washington to Madison)? Compare and
contrast the violations of U.S. neutrality and the responses of the United States.
3. What motivated Germany to begin sinking ships with U-Boats?
4. How did the sinking of the Lusitania contribute to a deterioration of relations between the United States and
5. What further violations of freedom of the sea took place after the sinking of the Lusitania?
6. In what ways did the United States economically favor the allied cause?
7. Why did Germany return to unrestricted submarine warfare in early 1917?
8. What did the Zimmermann Telegram propose? How did its publication contribute to America’s involvement in
World War I?
9. What reasons did President Wilson give to Congress for entering World War I?
10. Why do you think Wilson focused on a defense of humanitarian and democratic principles when asking
Congress for a declaration of war?
11. Do you think Wilson could have done more to keep the United States out of World War I? Please justify
your response with specific historical evidence.
12. How did each of these contribute to America’s decision to enter in World War I?
German U-boat attacks on neutral ships
Wilson’s desire to be involved in the peace process
Economic connection to allied war effort
Check out www.apushexplained.com for more APUSH resources